A Long Week of Bewilderment

 

 

It's been a long, long week or at least that's how it feels to me. 

It really is hard to believe that it was only on Monday that Prime Minister Johnson addressed the nation in order to explain the road out of lockdown. Of course, it's even harder to explain why his announcement has been followed by media hype and public adulation heralding the end of restrictions. I know I've been inhabiting another planet since retirement but I seriously didn't think I'd forgotten how to speak Earth's lingo. It's either that or some kind of communication error because I'm pretty sure the only concession the Government has made to the current Stay at Home Order to theoretically affect me is that, from 8th March, in addition to being able to exercise in a public space with one other person I can meet them for coffee or a picnic too. If that's getting back to normality, I really have transmorphed into some kind of alien creature.

Also it might make a difference for some city slicker types, but if they can point me in the direction of a source for take-out coffee in a rural village then I'm all ears. Not that I'm a fan of coffee in a paper cup, far from it, but it might just provide some kind of change to the humdrum of sameness that's peppering life a little too much these days.

I do accept that the main thrust of his statement was that schools will return on 8th March. As somebody whose age, however, would probably justify a struggle to recall her school days it's not a tantalising prospect with any great significance, save that the number of 4x4's picking children up from the village school at 3.30pm every day will suddenly increase exponentially not to mention the on-pavement parking, continuous running of diesel engines and lack of awareness as car doors open and close. 

If I keep this mood up, I might actually convince myself that, irrespective of its purpose to decrease transmission of the virus,  lockdown is a good thing! Anyway the Government clearly thinks it is, because my interpretation of what's been said is that (save for the changes I've outlined) it is continuing for at least a little while longer. 

So, having got that off my chest, I can now move on to another news story that also had me scratching my head in bewilderment. Mister Potato Head, a toy made by Hasbro, is apparently going to be known simply as Potato Head. Fortunately further reading revealed that it is the brand that is dropping the Mister from its title and not the toy itself. 

Phew, I was wondering if to count as one of the truly woke and enlightened brigade, I was going to have to follow suit and rename Mister E. That had me worried. I mean E could be a minor bit player in the world of MI6 but I think most people would imagine I was referring to the drug world and Ecstasy. Mister E is a lot of things but he's certainly not that!

Still something good came out of that last episode of bafflement because, coupled with some sunny weather enabling me to start seasonal work in the garden, I remembered that it was time to start chitting actual potatoes. That of course necessitated a visit to the local agricultural merchant's for seed potatoes (I bought by the kilogram and not the tonne) providing a brief interlude in the interminable tedium of the week.

Comments

Jean said…
All fingers and toes are crossed here that the June 21st end of restrictions will actually happen but I have this niggling doubt about it. Anything that relies on enough of the GBP (Great British Public) doing the right thing seems rather uncertain. The lockdown has been pretty much the same as last year for us but there is a distinct air of "it's all over" when we step beyond our own four walls. As Mr Van Tam said (or just Van Tam?) "don't wreck this now".
Caree Risover said…
That’s what worries me; was it another case of over-promising as nothing was set in stone? June is so far away, it would actually be good to think that this time Boris might have under-promised and will over-deliver.
Mona McGinnis said…
The end of lock-down reminds me of a comedienne's (Rick Mercer) take on the weather forecast predicting a warming trend at the end of the week; the end of the week is a moving target! Spring is something to look forward to but here in NE Alberta, Canada, we're still 3 months away from planting a garden. Every once in awhile, I need to make a list of the positives that the pandemic response has rendered. It's a short list.
Caree Risover said…
A definite moving feast, Mona, and please don’t think we are enjoying tropical conditions here in North Yorkshire but the warmth of the wintery sunshine was a good reminder that, all being well with the weather forecast you referred to, I need to be ready to get first earlies in the ground from mid-April. In the meantime, those seasonal jobs are sadly little more than mulching and clearing dead growth from last year.
Jennyff said…
Here in Italy our region will tomorrow and for 14 days go back into the orange, middle, restriction zone from yellow, the lightest, as infections rates keep rising. Bars and restaurants will be closed again, also gyms and leisure facilities, travel restrictions too. Meanwhile we heard that our little Yorkshire town was heaving with people at the weekend. We continue to stay at home, the Italian one with the nice garden and the sunshine.
Caree Risover said…
North Yorkshire police are purportedly having field days handing out fixed penalties to people travelling miles (often from outside the county) for fish and chips at Whitby, a walk on the beach at Scarborough or trying to enter the Dales.
Okay, so your post kind of made me laugh! I have had days where I thought it would be great to be in quarantine (we only had one lockdown here in Texas, a year ago). And now I am in quarantine, and it is sort of nice...

I hope everything opens up at a safe pace where you are, while still allowing all of you to keep your sanity! Crazy times we live in!
Caree Risover said…
I know what you mean Bethany and, almost a year ago now when our restrictions began it was all a novelty, the weather was wonderful, everywhere was quiet etc.. Sadly, that novelty is now wearing thin - not being able to see friends and family face to face and enjoy days out with them is taking its toll and sanity is becoming an issue for so many people as a result. Stay safe.
Treaders said…
I gave up on trying to understand the UK lockdown system some time ago because it obviously doesn't affect me, but I kinda feel sorry for governments trying to do the right thing and get this damn virus under control - and then have covid-deniers/"I have personal freedoms" types throwing a spanner in the works every time. Whether you think it's a hoax or not, is it so damn hard just to do what you're asked to do for a little longer and then maybe we will all be free? I'm not talking about the economy - only time will tell if their approach is the right one - I guess I'm just asking is it so damn difficult to wear a mask while shopping and sanitize your hands? Rant over - I must be having a bad day. Sorry!
Caree Risover said…
Treaders, I couldn’t agree more, although some of our Press makes it hard with its ridiculous headlines suggesting we are being liberated and that everyone should be rushing out to book summer holidays and of course there are some people who, because they have had one dose of a vaccine or even the virus itself, are beginning to think they are invincible.

Most Popular Posts of All Time

The 3 x 60 Challenge

All Aboard for Pampering

A Full Service

Late, Even in Retirement

A Reprieve

One a Day

Exhaustion

The Danger Zone

Business Networking in Retirement

Not Only But Also

Popular Posts in last 30 days

A Whinge and a Moan

Calamity After Calamity

From the Post

Great British Bake Off

Grateful for a Good Week

Old Fogeys up t'Dale

Planning for the Big Day

Fatigued

Technophobia

The 3 x 60 Challenge