Hair and There

 


Well here we are romping through February and I'm yet to post a blog entry this month, until now that is. I'd love to say that my oversight  is attributable to all the exciting things we have been up to but, as we all know, life just isn't like that at present.

However, whilst it can be a struggle on occasions, I continue to work on remaining positive. I always find it is easier when there are new things to see and do. Unfortunately they are a little thin on the ground when you are confined to your home most of the time. After all, it's not as though I'm about to discover a new room tucked away in the upper recesses of the house or even an unexplored footpath or bridleway outside.

Nonetheless, Mister E obliged my quest for adventure and novel experiences by investing in a set of hair clippers recently. He's an incredibly brave man, or perhaps a foolish and desperate one. Whatever the reason, he handed them to me and calmly sat still whilst I undertook a practical lesson from a You Tube video on cutting hair. I even donned one of those floral coveralls for the occasion and didn't forget to ask him if he was planning on going out that night as I attempted to make hairdressing small talk. I thought I did a brilliant job and wasn't afraid to hold up a mirror to show him the back of his head. He was grateful, skipped round the kitchen like a new born lamb, but still didn't give me a tip!

Next, I got to take my mother to The Forum. No we weren't in Ancient Rome; instead that is the name bestowed on the community centre in our local market town. It's the place I've gone to for charity events, theatrical performances, school speech days and concerts. This time, however, it was to enable her to receive her vaccination and I have to say the organisation was superb: no waiting, no queuing and no squealing. Still you know life's lacking something when chatting to Mum recently she remarked on the fact that she really enjoyed her visit to The Forum. I thought she was going to tell me about last year's pantomime or something similar, but no it was the fact that attending for an inoculation was her only trip out since Christmas! 

Well I'm about to find out how she felt as Mister E has been called for his jab on Saturday and, by virtue of an "executive decision," I'm to get mine at the same time. In our case we have to drive out into the Yorkshire Dales to a venue at an auction house near Leyburn where a number of the rural doctors' practices have joined together to deliver to their registered patients. Mister E could actually have had his earlier at a mass vaccination centre in an urban location, but the thought of a reasonable excuse for a cross-country drive was more appealing. It's a shame there'll be no pubs open for lunch and stopping for a picnic or coffee from a flask could deliver us each a £200 fine, but already the excitement for a trip to a destination away from the norm is bubbling over. 

 

Comments

Jean said…
The weekly trip to Tesco for our click and collect is the only excitement in this house, all that checking off of missing items and grumbling about substitutions.
A proper haircut is the thing I'm looking forward to most when we get our lives back. I cut Nick's and my dad's last week and they were both pleased with the job (they were both desperate). Nick did Hugo the dog's but I'm not at all keen on letting any of them loose on mine.
Still, I have had my jab now which is great. Nick is still waiting to be called for his, which is only fair since he has spent the last 25 years bragging about being a toy boy!
Caree Risover said…
Yes it surprises me what a desperate man will do and it sounds like poetic justice still exists too 🤣
Treaders said…
I've chopped bits off my hair for about 3 months now and it is definitely taking on the look of a nuclear mushroom cloud. The thing is, if I go to the hairdresser's I know I'll get it all chopped off and I don't want that. And would you believe, chatting to friends on zoom the other day a couple of them commented on how nice my hair looked (or maybe they were taking the p)! My "exciting thing of the day" would seem to be going to the mailbox. It's funny how little things please little minds isn't it!
Caree Risover said…
There do seem to be a lot of us participating in the Robinson Crusoe look a like competition at the moment!
Hi Caree! Congratulations for your willingness to learn something new and face the consequences. I'm not that brave and have fortunately had our hairstylist come and cut our hair on our patio outdoors a few times so we are too shaggy. And also congrats on your vaccines. We just got our first one yesterday so I am feeling pretty good these days. I hope others are equally successful. ~Kathy
Caree Risover said…
Kathy, you are spot on. In normal times they are incidental events but in the present they certainly merit congratulations and thank you for that. Well done for your own achievements too.
Jennyff said…
I’ve had two haircuts in Italy. Usually he is excellent and very precise but since Covid I don’t think Giancarlo is so confident. Last time I came home and took Mr FF’s clippers to the front it was so bad, MrFF he has been cutting his own hair for almost a year now. I’d stop going to Giancarlo but he and his staff are so nice and obviously need customers.
Caree Risover said…
Oh dear Jennyff, we've all been there and I bet that, in true British style, you smile sweetly and say how much you like the cut! That said, a visit to the hairdresser can be as much about how it makes you feel pampered (when else does anyone wash your hair for you?) as the end result.

Most Popular Posts of All Time

The 3 x 60 Challenge

All Aboard for Pampering

A Full Service

Late, Even in Retirement

A Reprieve

One a Day

Exhaustion

The Danger Zone

Business Networking in Retirement

Not Only But Also

Popular Posts in last 30 days

A Whinge and a Moan

Calamity After Calamity

From the Post

Old Fogeys up t'Dale

Planning for the Big Day

Fatigued

Grateful for a Good Week

Great British Bake Off

The 3 x 60 Challenge

A Lifesaver