Shivering on the Plot

 

The weather has been a little tricky this year in the garden. The vegetable plot got off to a late start with frost persisting into May. It was mid-June before we began to detect any real warmth in the weather. Before we knew it, and despite a lack of sustained sunshine, drought conditions persisted and by August a hose-pipe ban was instated which, despite now weeks of wet conditions, I understand was finally lifted this week.

Of most concern to me, however, is the rapidity with which we have suddenly moved from constant rain or drizzle to cold temperatures. Fair weather gardener that I am, I've been avoiding a soaking by seeking out activities more pleasurable than undertaking an autumn clear up. Obviously this means that now we have limited hours of daylight, grey skies and damp miserable conditions, I've been crawling around in the mud planting bulbs and clearing dead foliage.  What did I say in my last blog entry about letting go of anything that doesn't spark joy?

Except there is something uncannily invigorating about getting cold fingers, toes and nose by striving in the big outdoors or more precisely on my modestly sized vegetable plot. To be honest, and I'm blaming the weather for this, gardening in 2022 was hardly a success despite an abundance of apples and plums. Vegetables that grow above ground survived only because of my constant watering and they cropped very late, although bountifully when they did so compared to the meagre return from the root crops.

It's hard to think about plans for next year when the weather is so unpredictable. I find nurturing my own produce fulfilling and a reasonable excuse for the pottering that retirement is supposed to be synonymous with. On the other hand another year like this and I could very easily find myself tempted to turn those sunken vegetable beds into a rose garden. There must be plenty of pottering associated with dead-heading.

Of course, I'm not giving up that easily but it is a lesson in the fickleness of nature and our inability to control it despite best efforts. Without laying astro-turf or concrete whilst patronising the greengrocer's is there actually a fool-proof and easy way to maintain a garden in retirement? How do I avoid breaking both my back and spirit? Is this the stage of retirement when you give up and move into a flat?

 




Comments

Cathy said…
A greenhouse and a shed (with table chair and heater) linked by a covered way between the two should keep you well fed plus warm and dry😊
Caree Risover said…
I was thinking enlisting the services of a gardener might do the same 🤣
Treaders said…
I like Cathy's idea of a greenhouse and have the room for it in my garden but I still think it'd end up being too much work unless one of my sons would dig it all over. I tried a big veggie plot but it was too much work to keep it weeded! That being said, I love going out in the garden when it's wet and cold (my neighbours think I'm mad), but give me that over the excessive heat any day. As of last night we now have 10 inches of snow so I won't be gardening for a while (even though I have a plastic greenhouse in my spare bedroom right now) but I'm already starting to look at gardening videos on Youtube. Ever the enthusiastic amateur I suspect!
Caree Risover said…
Unfortunately I haven’t even got my greenhouse (it’s unheated) properly tidied for over winter yet. It would be tempting to move it indoors but as it’s concreted into the ground that’s not going to happen although I shall be starting next year’s plants in my utility room. I’m thinking I understood gardening a bit better when everything died off in September. The last couple of years autumn has seemed to be unusually long and balmy giving plenty of time to sort everything. This year it wasn’t and caught me out! Oh yes and one of the jobs I’ve sadly only partially finished is to dig over the vegetable beds and then cover them with a weed suppressing fabric so nothing grows on them in the spring, they warm up nicely and when I’m ready to plant there’s no hard work involved.
Christie Hawkes said…
I don't have a garden, Caree, but I can relate to the "fair-weather" part. I am a fair-weather walker/runner/just about anything. That said when I force myself to dress appropriately and get out in the cold weather, I always feel invigorated afterwards. There's a lesson in there somewhere.
Caree Risover said…
You are right Chrissie, and maybe we are all just contrary beings or perhaps there’s an innate gene that pushes us to pit ourselves against nature.

Most Popular Posts of All Time

The 3 x 60 Challenge

All Aboard for Pampering

A Full Service

Late, Even in Retirement

A Reprieve

One a Day

Exhaustion

The Danger Zone

Business Networking in Retirement

Not Only But Also

Popular Posts in last 30 days

A Whinge and a Moan

Calamity After Calamity

From the Post

Old Fogeys up t'Dale

Fatigued

Planning for the Big Day

Grateful for a Good Week

Great British Bake Off

Technophobia

A Lifesaver