Brevity

 

Statistics from Goodreads

I know food inside packaging is shrinking as manufacturers try to convince us that the current round of price rises isn't as bad as we know it to be. But surely that shouldn't apply to books as well?

"Brevity is the soul of wit," says Polonius in Shakespeare's Hamlet (an ironic point for a character who was somewhat verbose). Perhaps I'm just stumbling across particularly clever literature, but if a book length of 70 pages or so is gripping then, a little like the chocolates in the box on the supermarket shelf, I want more.

Conversely if the writing is awful then you might think I've been relieved of the chore of turning too many pages. Since resolving not to stick with disappointing novels, whether it's a novella or trilogy I can, of course, just as easily ditch both at an early point.

No, my complaint here is that for some curious reason the books I have been reading this year are much shorter than I had expected. I suppose that comes from taking recommendations, searching for and then  borrowing them from our county digital library. That way, it is only when I come to open the book online I discover how short it is. Had I gone into the library building to borrow a physical copy, I might have been prepared.

According to Goodreads the average length of my reading material last year was 328 pages compared to only 82 pages, according to my count, so far in 2023. That's quite a drop!

To my way of thinking half of last year's Booker Prize shortlist were short reads. Perhaps Polonius was right and brevity really is a showcase for ability.

Or maybe it's not that books are becoming shorter but rather readers' attention spans. Are authors now deliberately reducing the size of their fiction because we the consumer actually prefer less? In fact have you noticed that even when a book has a decent number of pages, it is often because the font and lines are both  well spaced, unlike some of those old Penguin paperbacks on my shelves from 40 or 50 years ago.

"War and Peace," is still on those shelves but despite the time retirement can offer, I confess re-reading two volumes does seem a trifle ambitious for this stage of my life. Yet, if not now, when?

Has anybody else noticed this apparent contraction in the number of words in a book or am I basing a hypothesis on too small a sample for there to be any validity in my contention?


Comments

Treaders said…
You might be right about book length, but oddly enough I'm finding I just no longer have the patience to read a bad book and just put it down. I guess it doesn't mean it's bad, it just doesn't appeal to me so I choose to make better use of my time by not reading it. It's been a while since I read a really good book anyway!
I read one author whose books contain chapters of just a few pages with the first and last pages only being a half page. They are quick reads because of all the extra white space. I think the attention spans have shortened in this instant access world of ours. I even find myself, while reading, checking ahead to see how many pages are left in a chapter for my next stopping point.
Caree Risover said…
Thanks for your thoughts Treaders. You’ll see from my Infographic at the top of this post my average rating for the books I read last year was only 3.4 stars - not many good books there either!
Caree Risover said…
RetirementCoffeeShop, to me it’s always been the sign of a good book if I’m not tempted to skip ahead to preview the ending. As for chapter lengths, I appear to be reading a book now where almost every page marks a new chapter. Whilst I’m sure my attention span is shortening, I’m pleased to report that I’m finding one page chapters even more irritating than a short book.
Cathy said…
I’m with you on the ‘one page chapter’ malarkey. I’ll accept it once but if they crop up more than that I begin to wonder if there’s any substance in the book at all.
My shelf picks are getting shorter as well, I’ll look at a book on the library shelf and think ‘too long’ ‘oh there’s something shorter, I’ll try that instead’. Not because I’m not interested in the story, just a can’t be bothered with a long read.
Caree Risover said…
I know what you mean Cathy in that I frequently put 600 page books into my “later” pile but 60 pages of short chapters with well spaced out text and lots of blank paper feels like a short story rather than a book.
Noelle said…
There is a physical limit to my choices I find. JK Rawlings Latest, Ink Black Heart, has over 1000 pages on very small print, resulting in a book so heavy one needs to rest it on a pillow to read it.
Caree Risover said…
Oh yes, Noelle, another reason for going light (if you are not a weightlifter). I do recall giving up reading books on my first iPad as it was just too heavy

Most Popular Posts of All Time

The 3 x 60 Challenge

All Aboard for Pampering

A Full Service

Late, Even in Retirement

A Reprieve

One a Day

Exhaustion

The Danger Zone

Business Networking in Retirement

Not Only But Also

Popular Posts in last 30 days

A Whinge and a Moan

Calamity After Calamity

From the Post

Old Fogeys up t'Dale

Planning for the Big Day

Fatigued

Grateful for a Good Week

Great British Bake Off

A Lifesaver

Technophobia