I Am Grandma

 

Rainbow over a field

I am about to go through a second retirement. When the eldest and Dilly told us last autumn that, all being well, we were scheduled to become grandparents at the end of this month, I decided to relinquish my role as Parish Clerk. I have been in post since October 2015 and whilst a small salary is paid, it is very much a voluntary position in so far as hours worked and tasks undertaken double those contracted to be delivered. I have, however, enjoyed contributing to the community in this way and been able to put the skills learnt from my decades of legal practice to good use. 

However, having been a working Mum for most of my career, I have absolutely no intention of being a working Grandma and so my notice of resignation was duly delivered. Sadly, there have been no enquiries from anyone interested in taking over the role and, honour bound, I have continued in position on the strict understanding that, replaced or not, I would not work beyond my grandchild's due date of 28th February.

The last few weeks, have therefore seen a dedicated effort by me to ensure that all files and documents, paper and digital, are neatly filed and all administration brought up to date for that end of February deadline. In fact, finishing line in sight, you might expect that I would almost be demob happy by now with perhaps a few days' grace between retirement and my renaissance as matriarch (after all everybody delivers their first baby late, surely).

No way, it's been yet another example of the unexpected twists and turns of retirement that not only has an influx of urgent business impeded finalisation of the paperwork but guesss which little bundle turned up early too.

So I may not yet be relieved of an administrative burden but my goodness I am so besotted by one tiny pink newborn girl that I feel as though I am walking on air regardless. Seriously, I never imagined how good a miniature being could make you feel and I don't need to nurse it, change nappies or endure sleepless nights. As for good omens,  we even got a rainbow to coincide with the birth. Who said retirement couldn't get any better? It just has, one hundred fold. 


Comments

You are going to love this new phase of your life! Being a Pawpaw has been such a great experience. I love being involved in the lives of our three grandchildren. The oldest is turning 4 soon and brings laughter to our lives with her funny antics and speech.
Caree Risover said…
Thanks for that, I’m just beginning to appreciate what you describe.
Congratulations on the new grand baby!!! You're right, retirement just got much, much better!
Caree Risover said…
And it was so good beforehand that it really is now ecstasy
Treaders said…
Congratulations to you and your hubbie (and the new parents of course). And the best thing about already being retired is that you can drop everything and help out when necessary! It truly is bliss!
Caree Risover said…
Thank you Treaders. We are at a slight disadvantage being a good 4+ hours drive away but it’s amazing the distance we’re suddenly prepared to travel just to have a cuddle.
Jennyff said…
Congratulations to you all, so nice to have such happy news. Looking forward to hearing about your grandma experiences.
Caree Risover said…
Thank you Jennyff Against the turmoil of world news, it is great when you realise life continues regardless and that there are so many happy moments to appreciate and cocoon yourself within.
Royce Shook said…
Congratulations on becoming a grandmother, it will change your life for the positive. When my grandson was born, my outlook on life changed. My hope is that your grandchild stays healthy and that you get to be part of her life for a very long time.
Caree Risover said…
Thanks for that Royce and yes, you are right. Above all else we want our grandchildren to be healthy and happy as well as being pert of their lives.
Christie Hawkes said…
Congratulations Caree and welcome to grandparenthood! It is absolutely the best.
Caree Risover said…
Thank you Christie - I definitely agree: “the best.”

Most Popular Posts of All Time

The 3 x 60 Challenge

All Aboard for Pampering

A Full Service

Late, Even in Retirement

A Reprieve

One a Day

Exhaustion

The Danger Zone

Business Networking in Retirement

Not Only But Also

Popular Posts in last 30 days

A Whinge and a Moan

Calamity After Calamity

From the Post

Old Fogeys up t'Dale

Planning for the Big Day

Fatigued

Grateful for a Good Week

Great British Bake Off

The 3 x 60 Challenge

A Lifesaver