Ashamed

 

It isn't so long since I told you in a blog post that I've been trying to avoid embracing the stereotypical  bucket list but have now begun to ponder on whether or not some kind of schedule is actually needed as I continue my exploration of Planet Retirement. At Christmas, however, somebody saved me the effort of pulling together my own spreadsheet by gifting me a Bucket List map .

Now I previously felt quite strongly that not only did I not want to devise a inventory of places to visit but also that worse than this would be a list of experiences and destinations that somebody else had collated for general distribution. Just search Bucket List online and you'll know what I mean.

In this instance, however, I was sufficiently intrigued to open the map and here I hang my head in shame. Billed as "1,000 priceless places to go and things to know" in Britain, I confess that I would be lucky to be familiar with half of them. In fact there are vast swathes of our relatively compact country that I haven't even entered!

So, whilst I'm not sure that I need a register of place names to put check marks against, it does look as though a road atlas and a British tourist book might be needed if my retirement research is ever to be completed.


Comments

Treaders said…
A road atlas would probably do it for me!!! My niece has been a member of The National Trust for years and is always off somewhere with her kids (while they're still willing) exploring. If I were in the UK I would do the same as I think the country is so beautiful and has so much to offer. While I realize France is the same, I'm having a harder time exploring France than I thought I would. Maybe I need to google "bucket list France"!
Caree Risover said…
Annoyingly, I’ve just begun to embrace navigation using Google but it’s not so good for scribbling over with highlighter pens!
Marksgran said…
I'm the same about Scotland. Most tourists have seen more of Scotland than me! The whole East coast is a mystery to me. Note to self, must travel in my own country more - once I return from Australia :o :)
Caree Risover said…
Well I know the weather was always a bit of a put me off when I was working in that if I was taking holiday I preferred the virtual guarantee of sunshine, but with the flexibility that retirement brings there isn't really an excuse is there?

Most Popular Posts of All Time

The 3 x 60 Challenge

All Aboard for Pampering

A Full Service

Late, Even in Retirement

A Reprieve

One a Day

Exhaustion

The Danger Zone

Business Networking in Retirement

Not Only But Also

Popular Posts in last 30 days

A Whinge and a Moan

Calamity After Calamity

From the Post

Old Fogeys up t'Dale

Planning for the Big Day

Fatigued

Grateful for a Good Week

Great British Bake Off

Technophobia

A Lifesaver