A Whinge and a Moan

 

There are times when we all deserve a little whine. Today I am taking advantage and want to moan about the rain. I know that the British predeliction for speaking about our weather is well known, but of late it is also very much well-founded. The buds bursting into green in the hedgerows and trees; our resident hare running around the adjacent field; the Spring bulbs already fading; the lighter evenings. It should all be adding up to a rapid movement towards summertime. Unfortunately cool temperatures and constant rain are spoiling everything. Indeed the farm next door seems to be growing nothing more than a crop of mud and the number of hours (not even days) that I have been able to get out into the garden can be very much counted on one hand.

Today, with a dry forecast, expectations were high despite the deluge overnight. Of course, in true British fashion we ended up with a mild day ruined by strong winds. Suddenly I'm feeling envious of those who make the decision to retire to a warmer climate.

At least there's a couple of positives to draw from the situation. Firstly I haven't got carried away sowing seeds in the greenhouse; something of a blessing now we know that we are moving out to enable the remediation works to take place. Secondly, it's trapped me indoors providing instead an opportunity to pack and declutter.  

It seems the British weather and retirement go hand in hand. Do they conspire to provide the unexpected?

Some things, however, are entirely predictable. Take the number of scammers that constantly bombard us. I received an email today that required handling with the utmost caution (please may I always retain my wits in retirement to be vigilant). Somebody was claiming to have written a book about retirement and wanted me to review it. He claimed its publication date was in May and provided a link to what looked like the Amazon website. Of course, I checked the book out separately. It would appear that it was actually published over a year ago and has a totally different ISBN to that on what I assume to be a fake website. Retirement bloggers be aware! 

Just to finish my moaning, will we even have a climate or an Internet fit for purpose in a few years from now or is my retirement doomed to end in a mud bath devoid of technology? On which note I shall close, save for recording that it is now raining again!

 

Comments

Treaders said…
The British weather is the reason I always knew I would leave Britain, even from a very young age. Growing up in central Birmingham with the grey and the drizzle (and Songs of Praise droning on in the background) did my head in! I don't mind the cold but the constant grey is so depressing. My younger neighbour is married to an Englishman and his job stability is a bit dodgy at the moment. Her mom was telling me that if he loses his job they'll go to the US, Canada or Australia, but not the UK - he feels the same as I do about the weather. Shame really, as it's a beautiful country!
Caree Risover said…
The rain really has been depressing of late, but it’s certainly making everything a brilliant shade of green. A dry spell and blue sky to appreciate the beauty of the landscape are long overdue.

Most Popular Posts of All Time

The 3 x 60 Challenge

All Aboard for Pampering

A Full Service

Late, Even in Retirement

A Reprieve

One a Day

Exhaustion

The Danger Zone

Business Networking in Retirement

Not Only But Also

Popular Posts in last 30 days

Calamity After Calamity

From the Post

Old Fogeys up t'Dale

Planning for the Big Day

Grateful for a Good Week

Great British Bake Off

Fatigued

A Lifesaver

A Trip to Town