Calamity After Calamity

 

Oh my. I really am disaster prone at present.

I am now a regular traveller to London in order to spend time with Grandotty who celebrated her first birthday at the end of February.  I have never been a fan of city living but sacrifices have to be made when the immediate family are all in the capital. Transferring at King's Cross onto the underground and then again onto an overland train are now normality for me and all changes are generally conducted without mishap, or so I thought.

Last week changed everything when the small leather hold-all I was carrying was stolen from my shoulder as I boarded the overland train. Perhaps I looked like a vulnerable country cousin come to town and was specifically targeted. Hats off to the thief (or more likely gang who crowded around me as I prepared to enter the train), I certainly didn't notice until the moment it disappeared and by which time I was being carried forward by the throng of people also accessing through the doors with me.

Indignation aside, at least I have the satisfaction of knowing that the criminal would be disappointed with his ill-gotten gains: half used toiletries, prescription medications, underwear and old clothing to help decorate in! Moreover, he probably did me a favour; involuntary decluttering of items that for the most part I have no need to replace. Shame it didn't happen when I began my journey back in North Yorkshire though, that way I wouldn't have had to carry them on all my transport changes.

Mind things have got a lot worse. As my possessions were being stolen, Mister E was meeting with the Project Manager back at home. It seems the remediation work is going to be a bigger job than first scoped and we need to pack up and vacate by the end of this month! Talk about involuntary decluttering, I have a premonition that I am going to be seeing an awful lot of our local council waste and recycling centre over the next couple of weeks.

Of course, I have been on a mission to reduce and minimalise throughout retirement but it appears that fate has determined that now is the time when success in this respect is going to be measured. Perhaps it was always going to take a calamity or two to tackle the job properly. Wish me luck, I'm going to need it!

(Image by Rudy and Peter Skitterians from Pixabay)

 

Comments

Treaders said…
Oh my, I'm so sorry you were robbed, but it is gratifying to know they only got away with a pair of knickers and a "painting t-shirt"! They're very good at what they do aren't they - the bastards! And I'm even more sorry that you're going to have to move out. Sure it'll get a lot of decluttering done but I can think of better ways of doing that!
Royce Shook said…
Decluttering is somethng that I have often started and never finished. I tend to gather more stuff rather than recycle it. The upside of your situation is that you will be able to declutter as you have no choice. I sometimes wish that I could get into that position but that wish is very short lived. Good luck over the upcoming weeks as you move from the shadows to the light.
Caree Risover said…
Thanks for your comments Treaders and Royce. Sometimes we have to search for the silver linings, but I’m determined to squeeze some lemonade from these lemons.

Most Popular Posts of All Time

The 3 x 60 Challenge

All Aboard for Pampering

A Full Service

Late, Even in Retirement

A Reprieve

One a Day

Exhaustion

The Danger Zone

Business Networking in Retirement

Not Only But Also

Popular Posts in last 30 days

A Whinge and a Moan

From the Post

Old Fogeys up t'Dale

Planning for the Big Day

Grateful for a Good Week

Great British Bake Off

A Lifesaver

Fatigued

A Trip to Town