Happiness and Well Being



Using data collected by the Office for National Statistics, a report this week from the Resolution Foundation dispelled the myth that I am in someway unique. Instead it seems that on the life enjoyment curve, I rate as rather average.

Apparently across the U.K. personal assessments of happiness and well-being peak in mid to late teens, declining gradually to the depths of misery around our half century and begin to appease only when retirement is on the horizon. Then, as those delighting in the pleasures of retirement will bear witness, subjective feelings of good fortune reach their dizziest heights in the early years following the cessation of work.

That is generally the time when worries can be at their lowest, although finances and health as well as living place have an inevitable impact. The report suggests, however, that life satisfaction, happiness and a sense that life is worthwhile, all peak in the early years of retirement together with a freedom from anxiety.

Moreover and whilst subjective well-being does, according to the paper, decline in advancing years, even at 90 it is on average better than in middle age! With age 70 as the countrywide mean for peak contentment, what isn't there to look forward to in retirement?

Comments

Stephanie Jane said…
That explains why my OH is so much happier now than he seemed all those years ago when we met!
Caree Risover said…
Too modest, Stephanie, I’m sure you’ve played a part in any transformation
Debra Journet said…
Very interesting. Good to know I'm where I should be on the curve.
Doug said…
Well that’s interesting! Only a few days ago I mentioned to a friend that my retirement has, so far, been probably the happiest time in my life. Now of course I’m a newbie at this retirement lark, just 6 months in but as I’m a natural optimist I’m trusting my retirement will remain the happiest period in my life.

One of the drivers for the happy state of mind is being free from all the work related stress. I never knew how much stress I was under until I retired and even then it took several months until I finally got work out of my thoughts.

I love being retired!
Caree Risover said…
Couldn't agree more
Caree Risover said…
I'm guessing there's a lot of us bunching up in the same place on that curve.
I retired at 62 from paid employment and had a small private practice as a psychotherapist and life coach until I was 68 or so - been totally retired since and I am itching to start working again - not a lot - no more than the equivalent of one day a week - spread over 2 days - just enough to stay in the learning game and make some money too
Caree Risover said…
Yes I enjoy the stimulation of the work I do as Parish Clerk but because the hours are flexible and not even equivalent to a full a day a week, it fits in perfectly with my retirement lifestyle.

Most Popular Posts of All Time

The 3 x 60 Challenge

All Aboard for Pampering

A Full Service

Late, Even in Retirement

A Reprieve

One a Day

Exhaustion

The Danger Zone

Business Networking in Retirement

Not Only But Also

Popular Posts in last 30 days

From the Post

A Whinge and a Moan

Calamity After Calamity

Three Leaks and a Garage Door

The 3 x 60 Challenge

Fatigued

A Lifesaver

Tormented

Grateful for a Good Week

Happy New Me