Planning for the Big Day

 Saturday is the big day. It's been a long time coming but after participating in an online hub on decluttering this week, the weekend is when I seek to address my wardrobe.

To be honest I couldn't see what all the fuss was about when I signed in on Monday. It was a timely challenge in that after redecorating and repurposing the built in wardrobe/cupboard outside our bathroom, I have any number of items now strewn on a spare bed that require hanger space somewhere. With wardrobes full to the gunwales a serious declutter is necessary.

Naively, therefore, I thought I'd be filling charity and rag bags by Tuesday morning but that is not how these things work. It's been back to the old preparation, preparation, preparation with the motivational message of "Failing to prepare is preparing to fail."

Anyway it transpires that opening the wardrobe door and simply jettisoning everything that falls on your head or you take an instant dislike to, is not how these things are tackled. Nor is it sufficient to look at an item and decide whether you use it, need it or love it; after all they wouldn't still be in the wardrobe if I couldn't at least imagine myself wanting to wear them one day. Trouble is will there ever be a day when I truly want to totter around in high heeled shoes, wear six office-suits or that bright puce cardigan I was kindly gifted one Christmas?

Instead I've been on a journey learning how to deal with the emotive response that prevents me from disposing of each and every single item that I possess. I almost feel like a religious zealot when I say that only by changing attitude can I truly alter my wardrobe. It is apparently not sufficent to grab a handful of clothes to remove and create space for others. Come Saturday my wardrobes are to be completely emptied and then, turning the whole dilemma on its head, decisions made as to what goes back in! If I am to succeed with the quest, it will not be a comfort zone experience.

Retired for nigh on seven years, the test is going to be just how many work clothes I will permit to creep back in on the pretext of a duplicate purpose. Let's hope the training and pep talks have been as good as I hope. I have a feeling that Saturday is going to be a long day.



Comments

Marksgran said…
I feel your pain! I seem to have millions of jackets in my house. We have a jacket rack in the hallway, one in our spare room and one wardrobe all with jackets/coats. I wouldn't mind but I wear the same jacket all winter then two different ones in the summer (one if its wet and one if its dry) so why do I need so many jackets?? I've looked through them with a view to them going but I always find a reason for them to stay, I need one for a funeral, one for 'getting dressed up' one for weddings etc! Its ridiculous. I look forward to hearing how you get on with this task! Good luck. x
Caree Risover said…
I’m convinced some stuff just multiplies of its own accord!
Treaders said…
I'd be curious to know more about that online hub because damn if I don't need some help decluttering! I had so many beautiful high-heeled shoes that never got worn it almost broke my heart to part with them - but then I haven't worn high heels for about 20 years have I!!!!
Caree Risover said…
Hi Treaders, just pop Declutterhub into your search engine and it will lead you there. Although they have a members' section on the website there's also lots of free information, podcasts and videos on YouTube, a Facebook Group and from time to time (as this week) they set a challenge with a live motivational/explanatory video daily. I've been dipping in and out over the last few months for inspiration.
Treaders said…
Thanks for that. I'll hop over there now and have a shufty!
Marksgran said…
Just popping back to say you inspired me to clear out some jackets so hubby and I have now got half the number we had before and the charity shop benefitted! Thankyou!x
Caree Risover said…
Aw, that’s brilliant - really well done!
Jennyff said…
When you finish can you pop over to Yorkshire and dispose of the 7 business suits my husband hasn’t worn for 7 years but still keeps in his wardrobe, they probably don’t fit anymore. Maybe take the trouser press too. I find it wrong to hang onto things you didn’t use that could benefit others. Well done with your declutter, hope you are feeling liberated.
Caree Risover said…
Haha! I do have to say though that there is a tremendous feeling of calm when you close wardrobe doors on a neat and ordered collection rather than a jumble.

Most Popular Posts of All Time

The 3 x 60 Challenge

All Aboard for Pampering

A Full Service

Late, Even in Retirement

A Reprieve

One a Day

Exhaustion

The Danger Zone

Business Networking in Retirement

Not Only But Also

Popular Posts in last 30 days

A Whinge and a Moan

Calamity After Calamity

From the Post

Old Fogeys up t'Dale

Fatigued

Grateful for a Good Week

Great British Bake Off

The 3 x 60 Challenge

Technophobia