Chilled to the Bone

 

I can't say that I generally feel the cold. Indeed Mister E and I are happy to keep our house at a maximum temperature of 18 to 19 degrees celsius. It's just as well bearing in mind that we have had no oil supply to run the central-heating boiler for several weeks. That really didn't matter when we were being blessed with summer weather but the recent tilt into autumn has certainly not gone unnoticed.

Whilst an inability to warm the bathroom radiators to dry towels, along with a lack of heat in the utility room for airing clothes has been a nuisance, it's hardly been a great bugbear. Gradually, however, there's been an increasing awareness of the chilly evenings and I've found myself reaching for a fleece to put on.

With some heavy rain and no sunshine, the effect has become pronounced. So much so that, travelling to London on Saturday, I was really aware of arthritic inflammation and pain in my left hand. Whilst Mister E drove, I found myself rubbing the swollen, painful area almost the length of the entire journey.

Aren't the elderly known for complaining that cold weather gets into their bones? Well I've certainly joined their ranks of late, in that case. Fortunately I'm not restricted in my movement and not only does my normal gym routine keep the joints working but also avails me of access to showers and dry towels. As well as exercise, advice for contering the effects of the cold include eating well (try to stop me), staying warm (the vest and fingerless gloves are back in use again) and getting stronger (that's where all the resistance training, Pilates and weights in retirement have been invaluable).

The best tip of all though has to be to keep your home heated and I now appreciate why state benefits include an annual winter fuel payment for all people of pensionable age. Luckily since our return we  have the benefit once more of a temporary oil supply line and a working boiler. We met with the Project Manager yesterday and there was even chat about getting the new water pipe installed shortly and before the major work to remove the contamination begins. It's going to be a long and dirty process but we're hoping to avoid seeking alternative accommodation regardless. 

If we can have background heat, dress for the conditions, keep moving, eat well and most importantly stay strong in both senses of the word, we should be ready to endure, if not conquer, all.

 


Comments

Treaders said…
Oddly enough I haven't put my heating on yet (I try to make it to the end of September) as we're having great weather still, but I sense it won't be long now. I always find when I feel cold the best thing (for me) is to dress up warm and get outside to work/walk or whatever. Then when I come back to the house it feels like a sauna. Of course you can't always do that and some people have physical restrictions, but for me personally it works a treat. Hope you get your heating sorted soon though!
Marksgran said…
I can recommend the Oodie or in my case the cheaper Ooni (I think thats how its spelled) from John Lewis. They are super warm oversized hoodies and they keep you very toastie and warm. I bought one each for hubby and I last year and although he was sceptical (he's not a fleece, hoodie type of person!) he was very impressed and wore it every evening while watching tv last winter. I think its worth the little bit extra we paid to get the ones we did as my daughter bought an Oodie copy from Primark and said its not nearly as warm. I got the ones from John Lewis and they are very similar to the 'real' Oodie ones just without the cute images all over them, not to mention a wee bit cheaper too! However, having said all that, I hope your work is all done and dusted before the real winter weather sets in. Good luck!
Caree Risover said…
Reminds me of lumberjacks sawing trees in the snow Treaders and yes we invested in the poor man’s Oodie last winter too, Marksgran. TBH I haven’t felt so cold that an extra layer and my fingerless gloves couldn’t put right but bit by bit there was more of an insidious creep into “the bones” rather than the external layers. Reconnection to the boiler has certainly done the trick and we’re just hoping arrangements can be made to keep it running throughout the rectification work.

Most Popular Posts of All Time

The 3 x 60 Challenge

All Aboard for Pampering

A Full Service

Late, Even in Retirement

A Reprieve

One a Day

Exhaustion

The Danger Zone

Business Networking in Retirement

Not Only But Also

Popular Posts in last 30 days

A Whinge and a Moan

Calamity After Calamity

From the Post

Old Fogeys up t'Dale

Planning for the Big Day

Fatigued

Grateful for a Good Week

Great British Bake Off

Technophobia

A Lifesaver