INTRODUCTION


There seems to be a scarcity of UK retirement blogs out there (other than those proffering financial advice) and in the absence of my being able to read about other people's experiences, I instead offer you my own "Great Big Retirement Adventure."

My husband (Mister E) and I have moved from the initial concept through the planning stages to implementation and this site is intended to record the whole process. What I am seeking from retirement is now very different to what I thought I was planning and has gradually developed into a quest for fitness and a desire for simplification, with a transition away from both a highly organised lifestyle and the personality traits reflecting a pedantic professional career. Indeed I recently described myself as "a goofy idiot" who enjoys smiling at sunflowers; a far cry from the pre-retirement professional and an indication of just how far I have travelled.

Please visit from time to time and do add your comments. The blog is in reverse chronological order but popular posts and those highlighting our journey are specifically pinpointed below on the right hand side together with a list of topics covered. Alternatively you may prefer to look at the summary or wisdom we have acquired or even our have done list with its retirement atlas and dip in and out of the blog using the links given.




Wednesday, 10 May 2017

The Woman Who Lived in a Cupboard



Were I to write my autobiography  based on the last two weeks I doubt if there could be a more fitting title than "The Woman Who Lived in a Cupboard." Yesterday, after all the practice at home, I volunteered to help Save the Children by tidying up a walk-in cupboard. Moreover, I went back today to finish the job.

Obviously this action in itself didn't save many (I mean any) children but it does mean that the lovely volunteers at their local Charity Shop can now get into the cupboard to store day to day items ready to fill empty spaces on shelves and hopefully raise significant sums to help support the Charity's work.

Never did I envisage that, of all the skills I may be able to develop in retirement, an ability to move boxes and stack shelves, producing order out of chaos, would be one of the most useful. 

It's supposed to be a life of creativity and adventure that I'm seeking, albeit without the clutter. However, after spending so much time inside cupboards, I am now thinking about taking root inside one. It could, with the unleashing of the desire for creativity, prove a wonderful ambience for writing that book; once I've cleared the cupboard out of course!


3 comments:

  1. I learned a new completely new skill this week. I have said many times that I should not be let near a garbage disposal. I have clogged many over the years, and I did it again the other day. While my husband has never been angry about these clogs, he is usually not too happy about having to deal with them. I was determined that he was not going to returned home to another sink filled with water and a disposal to unclog. I watched a couple of YouTube videos, crawled under the sink, and did it myself! Of course, I've patted my self on the back ever since.

    Keep up your good work Caree!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, you certainly know how to impress. Garbage disposal units are a giant step up from walk-in cupboards.

      Delete