Dark Nights

Image by Barry Plott from Pixabay
Last week the weather was somewhat grey and wet; when it wasn't raining, it was cloudy and miserable. We had also reached that point where autumn appears to be quickly turning into winter and the rapidity with which the days are shortening is now very noticeable.

I think it is Alfred Wainwright who is credited with the phrase, "There's no such thing as bad weather, only unsuitable clothing." He may have had a point when it comes to walking in extreme conditions. Certainly, meeting a friend for a rainy ramble on Thursday, I zipped myself into my weatherproof coat and only noticed how wet I was when, three hours later, I came to undress in the coffee shop we had chosen for our debriefing session (translation: long lunch and leisurely chatter).

So far as gardening is concerned, however, I may put on as many waterproof layers as I choose, but it doesn't stop my spade from squelching in mud and my boots sticking, as my dismal efforts in the vegetable plot last week demonstrated.

Fortunately it was all change overnight on Saturday, when not only did the clocks go back but somehow we seem to have generated sunshine. What a transformation. Rising at my usual time, it has been light once again and, spurred on by the brilliance, there has been no impediment to putting the vegetable patch to sleep for winter and planting spring bulbs.

That said, it was something of a shock to see the thermometer this morning reading only 2 degrees with evidence of frost across the fields. Not quite as traumatic though as driving in the dark this evening to go for a swim and attend a Pilates class. I was compelled to find and wear gloves to go out in; it will be boots next.

At least I got to enjoy a couple of mellow hours in the garden again. Imagine if I was still working: up to see a frost; home to see nothing in the dark; hours of toil in between.

Every day of every season, retirement has its advantages.


 

Comments

Treaders said…
I had noticed you had disappeared too - glad it was to Greece though! And I know exactly what you mean about appreciating no longer working. On Wednesday evenings I have an 8 p.m. Italian class so I leave home around 7.15 to get there in good time. And every week I think "damn, if I were still working I wouldn't even be HOME at this time". Bliss!
Caree Risover said…
Yes, working during the winter months was akin to being nocturnal; trapped indoors during the day and then released into darkness.

Most Popular Posts of All Time

The 3 x 60 Challenge

All Aboard for Pampering

A Full Service

Late, Even in Retirement

A Reprieve

One a Day

Exhaustion

The Danger Zone

Business Networking in Retirement

Not Only But Also

Popular Posts in last 30 days

A Whinge and a Moan

Calamity After Calamity

From the Post

Great British Bake Off

Grateful for a Good Week

Old Fogeys up t'Dale

Planning for the Big Day

Fatigued

The 3 x 60 Challenge

A Lifesaver