Remember Me?


It feels like such a long time since I last settled down to write an entry for this blog. Of course I have no genuine excuses and as I doubt I have even been missed, my intention is simply to creep back discreetly.

A couple of weeks ago we took off on one of those last minute holidays you never get the chance to do when you are working, benefiting from a hefty discount in the process. Oh the joys of retirement! Mind I do recall wondering whether I would ever really need that kind of sun and sand vacation in the laid back world that we now reputedly inhabit.

The truth of course is that, as ever, I find myself taking on more and more and consequently the quest for periods of total relaxation and nothingness remains. Couple that concept with the last of this summer's Mediterranean sunshine and who could truly say they'd rather stay at home? Yes, we escaped to Greece once more, this time staying in a fabulous little hotel at the northern end of Corfu near to Acharavi.


 


  For the most part, the weather was glorious, the scenery with views across the sea to the mountainous Albanian countryside that we explored back in 2015 was stunning and we took full advantage of the opportunity for long coastal walks. The exercise was countered in equal measure by afternoons reading, stretched out on sun loungers (well it would have been almost rude not to use them), and of course evenings were reserved for gastronomy and oenology. 

 


We returned surprised by the extent to which autumn had crept in during our relatively short absence but with batteries recharged have been firing all cylinders preparing the garden for winter and, in a display of community spirit, cleaning village benches and bus shelter in addition to our usual mass of physical activity.

Fortunately the effects of an idyllic break do seem to extend longer in retirement which perhaps help explain why my brain continues to float on a sea of emptiness, devoid of  blogging inspiration whilst calmly (for once) negotiating the ongoing media hype over the latest political shenanigans. I know it won't last but for now vacuity feels good.

Comments

Bob Lowry said…
I had noticed a bit of a gap in updated posts, so, yes, you were missed!

Greece has always fascinated me, though I have never been. The white-washed buildings, almost painfully bright blue skies and small villages pull on me. Thanks for the quick tour!

I think you are right: a vacation or change-of-scenery break after retirement has a longer-lasting effect. It has been 18 months since our European River cruise but I can remember every stop and every sight as if it were just a few months ago.

Should I wish you and all U.K. residents a stiff upper lip as Brexit nears some type of decision by the end of the week? Or, are you so sick of it all, you almost don't care anymore....just be over!
Caree Risover said…
Oh Bob, thank you for noticing.
You are also being very brave for raising the Brexit issue although today so many of us are breathing a huge sigh of relief knowing a no deal exit has been avoided yet again.
There is presently a joke doing the rounds where a crowd gathers in Brussels 500 years from now to see what has become a major tourist attraction: the UK Prime Minister’s traditional arrival to request an extension. The custom has endured for so long, nobody can quite remember when it started or why, but so it continues.
Stephanie Jane said…
Oh, I love Greece but we haven't visited there for ages. Maybe next year?!
I'm glad to hear you're suitably refreshed from your break and hopefully ready for the now-even-sillier Silly Season that approaches!
Caree Risover said…
I’m so sorry Stephanie, I was certain I had responded to your comment but I’m guessing it vaporised when I clicked ‘publish’ or else I’m simply delusional. Yes Greece doesn’t change but the UK gets sillier.

Most Popular Posts of All Time

The 3 x 60 Challenge

All Aboard for Pampering

A Full Service

Late, Even in Retirement

A Reprieve

One a Day

Exhaustion

The Danger Zone

Business Networking in Retirement

Not Only But Also

Popular Posts in last 30 days

A Whinge and a Moan

Calamity After Calamity

From the Post

Great British Bake Off

Grateful for a Good Week

Old Fogeys up t'Dale

Planning for the Big Day

Fatigued

Technophobia

The 3 x 60 Challenge