Onwards and Upwards

 

(Image by David Reed from Pixabay)

It might be all those Scandi-noir series we watched last year or, now I've matured a little, an aversion to the millennial green gracing our walls but, entrenched in decorating and decluttering, I'm aiming for a minimalist feel. So much so, that today we decided on a trip to IKEA for some wooden storage boxes to complete the look of the upstairs area that I'm very gradually painting at the moment. An incentive to finish what I've started if you like and believe me, with the contents of one large cupboard strewn all over the landing, I do need to get on.

Trouble is we only got half way there when the tyre pressure warning light popped up on the dashboard. I slowly drove off the motorway to the nearest garage which, as we'd hoped, had an air supply. A visual inspection failed to reveal an obvious puncture, so Mister E sprang into action, checking the pressure for each of the tyres and then inflating the culprit.

Of course that then gave rise to a dilemma. Did we proceed with our journey or return home, in both instances desperately hoping that we would not encounter and have to deal with a flat tyre on the hard shoulder? Risk averse couple that we are, we decided returning home was the safer option. 

Back on our own turf, Mister E again checked the tyres with a pressure gauge, and needless to say they were all still fully inflated. He did suggest to me that we could set off once more (with a foot pump in the boot this time). However, it's amazing how a 40 mile round trip to nowhere can suddenly put the oomph back into your motivation and I got out the paint brushes once more.

I'm not sure if the prospect of a trip out next week instead will be sufficient inspiration to maintain my effort, but a message from the youngest about a prospective visit following the proposed further relaxation of restrictions on 17th May certainly is. I have a feeling that I am going to be seeing a lot of the world from the top of a step ladder over the next few weeks.


 


Comments

Jennyff said…
Disappointing you didn’t get to Ikea, I hate a late minute change of plan but you saved yourselves a stressful journey. The painting will be nice when it’s finished, not a job I enjoy at all.
Caree Risover said…
Some things just aren’t meant to be, although that obviously doesn’t refer to finishing the painting.
Treaders said…
Anything car related worries me, but I'm glad it got sorted. IKEA will still be there tomorrow!
Caree Risover said…
Warning lights and motorways aren’t a great mix
Jeanette Lewis said…
In Canada, we have many severe temperature fluctuations especially in the shoulder season when autumn turns into winter. Thus, we've had lots of experience with the tire pressure warning light coming on. Our garage tells me that whenever this happens they have a lineup of clients needing tire pressure checked.
My husband's previous car was especially sensitive to temperature fluctuations. The light came on almost every week! In frustration he had the tires removed and the rims cleaned. It helped -- until the next time we had a sudden drop of more than 10 degrees C overnight! Last year, he sold that car!
Caree Risover said…
That is interesting Jeanette, especially as there’s been no sign of further deflation after checking the pressure daily. Just to make sure though, we’ve decided to put my other set of tyres back on (still using winter tyres at present) before doing another journey out of the immediate locality.

Most Popular Posts of All Time

The 3 x 60 Challenge

All Aboard for Pampering

A Full Service

Late, Even in Retirement

A Reprieve

One a Day

Exhaustion

The Danger Zone

Business Networking in Retirement

Not Only But Also

Popular Posts in last 30 days

A Whinge and a Moan

Calamity After Calamity

From the Post

Great British Bake Off

Grateful for a Good Week

Old Fogeys up t'Dale

Planning for the Big Day

Fatigued

The 3 x 60 Challenge

A Lifesaver