Double Decker Buses

 

Here we are: no blog entry on my part for over 3 weeks and now two in quick succession. Yes, I know, it's just like those proverbial double decker buses where, after waiting goodness knows how long, two arrive  at once.

I suspect I could be turning into the blogging world's version of a fair weather friend/sailor/walker/gardener (take your pick). In my case, however, a bad weather blogger might be a more apt description.

A spell of balmy days is always an excuse for avoiding chores and administrative tasks. Apologies, I'm overwhelmed by proverbs today which is why "Make hay whilst the sun shines," comes to mind. I do tend to take that saying a little too literally in retirement but it is fantastic to not only have a choice as to when to do something but to be able to select the right weather for it too. Of course, I'm not sure how my house and paper work would ever get done were I to inhabit warmer climes but, living in the north of England, I know we are generally guaranteed a rainy day before being totally overcome by household dust or bureaucratic deadlines.

Just because it feels like the weather to stay in and stay dry does not, however, mean that it will necessarily be a productive day. I popped out for a Pilates session this morning but yes, I did a little ironing and even cleaned the inside of some windows. Yet when it came to settling down at the computer to pay bills  and respond to emails, I was easily diverted.

I don't know about you but after the clocks moved forward an hour at the weekend, I've certainly noticed a greater tendency to start yawning mid-evening. It's wonderful to have what feels like longer daylight hours but tiring getting accustomed to the time change. Now you may think I am digressing and have moved totally off point but returning to the effortless nature of internet distraction, did you know, as I discovered today, that, according to scientific studies, heart attacks are more likely to occur over the Christmas Holiday period or on a Monday? Moreover, there is a noticeable increase in the number of incidents on the Monday following the weekend the clocks are advanced.

Suffice to say, risk or no risk, I have managed to survive the time change as I sincerely hope you have too. Still, theorising as to why it might have such an effect is fascinating, especially when you really should be getting on with your online banking. Do Monday mornings herald an increase in stress levels and if so is it only the working population that is affected? Can an hour's less sleep induce a coronary incident or could it be something to do with the interruption to an established circadian rhythm? If so, does jet lag have the same effect and are you more susceptible as you age? Thinking about that strenuous Strength and Conditioning class yesterday morning, should we be especially careful about the activities we choose to undertake at the beginning of the week?

I'm at the hospital again tomorrow for what should hopefully be the concluding part of my cardiac monitoring, so obviously I have a particular vested interest in these matters. What are the odds on the medical staff thinking I'm totally bonkers when I query my chances of surviving future Mondays?

 

Comments

Treaders said…
More and more I'm finding that doing a particular job "when I feel like it" rather than when I think I ought to gets things done much more efficiently. I've also learned to just let things go when they bugger up and leave it till the next day and then I'm not quite so resentful!!! As for changing the clocks, it was a bit of a shock waking up in the dark on Sunday and I also felt more tired. Weird isn't it, as if an hour could make that much of a difference. Good luck at the hospital tomorrow!
Caree Risover said…
To be honest I think I’ve become somewhat blind of late when it comes to spotting housework-until the dust starts me sneezing or all the clothes I’d choose to wear are in the laundry basket! So I guess I’ve started to tackle those jobs more when needs must, rather than by inclination
Jeanette Lewis said…
About 5 years ago I abandoned the idea that I would write a blog post at least weekly. Once I made peace with an irregular schedule I relaxed and enjoyed writing the posts again. My readers did not abandon the blog.
I'll read your posts whenever they arrive on my screen.
Enjoy the springtime!
Caree Risover said…
Thanks Jeanette. I don’t think I’ve ever had a regular routine for writing here but to neglect doing so for over 3 weeks felt like a large omission!
Jean said…
Every time we arrive in France for a spell we experience the putting forward of the clocks by an hour and it gets no easier! We do appreciate the longer evenings but the trade off is the darker mornings which somehow make us feel less likely to get out of bed, get up and get on with things!
I always felt that once I retired regular blogging would be easier but it hasn't happened. There is always so much other stuff to do that I still, after all this time, wonder how on earth I ever found the time to go to work.
Caree Risover said…
It is strange how the impact of the clocks changing so that you lose an hour is always harder than simply staying up for an hour later than normal. However, as you rightly point out that’s not the only one of life’s mysteries which definitely include finding the time to go to work.

Most Popular Posts of All Time

The 3 x 60 Challenge

All Aboard for Pampering

A Full Service

Late, Even in Retirement

A Reprieve

One a Day

Exhaustion

The Danger Zone

Business Networking in Retirement

Not Only But Also

Popular Posts in last 30 days

A Whinge and a Moan

Calamity After Calamity

From the Post

Old Fogeys up t'Dale

Planning for the Big Day

Fatigued

Grateful for a Good Week

Great British Bake Off

A Lifesaver

Technophobia