A Five Year Plan



Almost four years ago now I attended a motivational event when we had to discuss with the person sitting next to us our goals for the future and specifically our five year plan. In my case I was fortunate that the colleague with whom I was paired was someone whom I knew quite well and I glibly told her that my intention was to retire. 

After leading us through a variety of activities linked to planning the next five years, the coach at the session asked us to commit our plans into a written sentence, and pass it over. I found an old train ticket in my purse, confirmed my intentions in writing and then handed it on. 

"I'm going to make a diary note and then remind you when the time comes," my colleague said laughingly, never for a moment believing that my intentions were serious.

Earlier this year I had reason to e-mail the same lady and in doing so told her that I plan to retire at the end of June, and enquired if she still had the ticket. She came to see me the other day, proudly brandishing the original and telling me that I was quick off the mark. I looked at the back of the ticket and there in my own fair hand I had set a goal of retiring by 30th April 2015.

If all goes to plan, not only shall I have achieved my goal but I shall have achieved it ten months early! How's that for target setting?


Comments

Most Popular Posts of All Time

The 3 x 60 Challenge

All Aboard for Pampering

A Full Service

Late, Even in Retirement

A Reprieve

One a Day

Exhaustion

The Danger Zone

Business Networking in Retirement

Not Only But Also

Popular Posts in last 30 days

A Whinge and a Moan

Calamity After Calamity

From the Post

Great British Bake Off

Grateful for a Good Week

Old Fogeys up t'Dale

Planning for the Big Day

Fatigued

Technophobia

The 3 x 60 Challenge