The Resurrection of Romance

(Image by Bingo Naranjo from Pixabay)

 It's that time of the year again, the sun (when we see it) is at a level in the sky when, after the darkest days of the year, it suddenly illuminates not only the dust but also the clutter. Armed with my resolution to get more from less, I have felt compelled to start to tackle it once again.

This year I have not been alone in doing so, after signing up for a brief introductory online course run by two professional declutterers. It seems that such people really do exist, and their mission in life is to deliver people from being overwhelmed by too much stuff. 

Twenty-two years ago, when we built our own home, we were overly ambitious with the amount of storage space we created. Now, just over two decades later, we have filled every nook and cranny with all those items that might come in useful; walk-in cupboards and empty bedrooms are overflowing and our "minimalist mansion" has become a cluttered cottage with floorfuls of excess. It's not the way we want to live but the clearance required always seems too daunting to ever complete.

Previously, however, it seems that I have concentrated too much on the disposal of items. For instance playing the Mins Game where you throw away one item on the first day of the month, two on the second and so on until there are thirty one on the 31st. Of course, once you have rid your home of 496 objects, it is all too easy to allow another 496 in through the back door over a period of time, almost unnoticed until January when the weak winter sunshine begins to highlight them. For somebody who doesn't even have a great affinity for stuff, it's all the more difficult to understand why I keep finding myself in this predicament nor why I can never bottom out the mess.

Thanks to the course from The Declutter Hub I have finally recognised that not only is the problem clearly of my own making which of course I knew, but that it requires a change of mind-set to overcome. Throwing away posssessions, even when of no tangible use, will not cure the problem if it is always easier to tuck away anything unwanted, (just in case it may come in useful further down the line) than dispose of it immediately. If I place no value on space on shelves or inside cupboards, I am only ever going to fail as I repeatedly clear only sufficient to rapidly fill them up again. There is a limit to how many empty cardboard boxes, plastic lids for long lost containers, pieces of string and miscellaneous widgets any household needs not to mention the surfeit of stationery, books, paperwork, crockery and clothing. My problem comes in our failing to recognise exactly what the limit is.

Last week forced me to come face to face with the reality of the situation: my clutter represents an act of retaining the past in expectation of a future need whilst completely ignoring the present. Space and the organisation of  things have to be more valuable than the stuff that is depriving me of that space and making its organisation overwhelming. So having less is not about reducing possessions per se, but instead about placing a value on and appreciating the benefit of regaining the ambience of a tidy, well-administered home, fit for retirement. There is nothing that saps the energy more than having to tidy in order to clean. What too can be as dispiriting as putting down something and then wasting what feels like hours looking for it, only to discover it where you first started to search and attributing the oversight to the build up of clutter around it?

As an organised person who does have places for everything (just a few too many at the moment), I have always been able to embrace the concept of order; it's just the volume and tidiness that I have struggled with. However, having been firmly told that decluttering is a marathon and not a sprint in which you must start small to build up your muscle power, I finally feel that there is scope for a new me. Simply tidying a few drawers and throwing out only that which we know we shall never use again, is sufficient to spur me onto greater effort. For instance learning how to fold to file clothes rather than stack them has been revolutionary and even Mister E is on board with that one, swearing that he'll never remove  a T shirt from his drawer again for fear of upsetting the order and having a sneaky practice at folding for himself!

In fact he was so inspired that after undertaking his own quick tidy up this morning, he took me out this afternoon. 

In light of the restrictions there are not very many places we can go but Schedule 3A, Part 1, Section 2 (1) (i) The Health Protection (Coronavirus Restrictions) (All Tiers) (England) Regulations 2020, as amended, clearly states that it is a reasonable excuse to leave the place where you are living in order to visit a waste disposal or recycling centre, and that's exactly what we did! Who said romance was dead?

 

 


Comments

Jean said…
I have been meaning to declutter for years. During those years more clutter has arrived and the situation is now desperate. Not helped by having an OH whose idea of tidying is to shove stuff under the sofa or pile it up in "his corner".
Your idea of an outing appeals to me greatly. Anything that gets us out of the house would count as an adventure but as for the tip....I have been known to come away with more than I took.....why would anyone in their right mind throw out a pile of perfectly good plates or hardly used cake tins.....??!! This does not help with the decluttering (although it's immensely satisfying at the time).
Caree Risover said…
Oh Jean, you made me smile; I share the dilemma but understand your satisfaction (and I thought I was a changed person)!
Jean said…
It's more of a problem in France where at the tip there is a large table for people to put unwanted items for you to help yourself. I have gained many plates, ramekins, jugs and other pots that way, even a cake stand! Mind you, the best find of all was a cast iron skillet, the type used for making drop scones, left on top of the bottle bank. It scrubbed up really well!!
Treaders said…
My home has a garage and very large basement that extends across the entire width and length of the house so you can imagine how much storage space I have. Just when was making headway getting rid of stuff all my ex's stuff got dumped on me when he skipped back off to the States. Then I started making my way through that and my son moved back in with me after his divorce. Rinse and repeat seems to be the order of the day, but I agree with you, even getting rid of just small amounts of stuff is so liberating, so on we go. Marie Kondo eat your heart out!
Caree Risover said…
Well I certainly laughed when I read that Marie Kondo brought out a range of candles and other decorative items. Fortunately I don't have masses of that kind of thing but books, paper and craft projects seem to be my downfall and like you our home is still a receptacle for the storage of the kids' miscellanea. The problem is that so long as you have the space it isn't a problem then one day it just overflows and keeps on flowing.
Jennyff said…
I agree we just fill the space we have. Our solution was to move from a far too large 4 bedroom house into a small 2 bedroom apartment. The exercise made me realise just how much unnecessary stuff we’d accumulated over the years. I regret giving away a few things but we were desperate to downsize, the lesson was leant and we live a much calmer tidied life now. I always think it’s best to sort things out yourself, while you are able, otherwise someone will have to do it for you and wonder why the hell you kept so much.
Caree Risover said…
Yes, I’m conscious at the moment that should we need to downsize the effort to do so is going to be gargantuan. However, I am beginning to look at things and think, “If we were moving would I take it with us?”

Most Popular Posts of All Time

The 3 x 60 Challenge

All Aboard for Pampering

A Full Service

Late, Even in Retirement

A Reprieve

One a Day

Exhaustion

The Danger Zone

Business Networking in Retirement

Not Only But Also

Popular Posts in last 30 days

A Whinge and a Moan

Calamity After Calamity

From the Post

Great British Bake Off

Grateful for a Good Week

Old Fogeys up t'Dale

Planning for the Big Day

Fatigued

The 3 x 60 Challenge

A Lifesaver