Retirement Exotica

 


One of the most stimulating things about retirement has been the many new experiences we've encountered. Traditionally one tends to think of these in the context of travelling but retired life knows no such boundaries. Opportunities for fresh adventures, therefore, abound closer to home or even within your four walls themselves.

Moreover a touch of the exotic doesn't have to involve sitting on your living room rug, a lampshade on your head, rubbing a lamp and waiting for a genie. No, I've never tried it either, but maybe one day..

Last week, however, taking delivery of a fruit box we were confronted by some unusual items. Describing them to Google, there seemed to be a suggestion that they could be Snake Fruit from the Salak Palm. Forget the genie and the lamp, I clearly needed a wicker basket and a recorder if I wanted to have a go at charming serpents.

Innovative experience that it might have been, it was unnecessary. On peeling one, removing the bean-like nut inside and then popping it in my mouth, it was unmistakably a lychee and a truly tasty one at that. Curiously, despite being familiar with lychees (in cans or chinese restaurants), I've never actually seen one fully clothed before. What can I say? The others didn't stay dressed for long after that, as Mister E and I tripped over each other in our haste to undress and devour them.

From the fruit bowl to strip club, I believe retirement just threw up another new and delighful experience.

 

Comments

Jeanette Lewis said…
It's not just 'retirement exotica', it's definitely 'pandemic exotica'. How lucky to find this in your weekly shipment of produce! Small treasures like the lychees make good memories
.
Caree Risover said…
Yes, exotica is a definite distraction from the pandemic; finding a whole treasure trove would be good though!
Treaders said…
My son and I ate lychees a couple of nights ago and they were wonderful. Haven't had them for ages!
Jean said…
The first time I had fresh lychees as opposed to the Chinese restaurant variety, I thought they tasted like lemonade, absolutely delightful. Thanks for reminding me, I shall see if I can get some on my click and collect.
Caree Risover said…
Couldn’t agree with you both ( Treaders and Jean) more as to their taste. I truly cannot believe that I’ve had such a sheltered life that I’d never eaten them fresh before.

Most Popular Posts of All Time

The 3 x 60 Challenge

All Aboard for Pampering

A Full Service

Late, Even in Retirement

A Reprieve

One a Day

Exhaustion

The Danger Zone

Business Networking in Retirement

Not Only But Also

Popular Posts in last 30 days

From the Post

A Whinge and a Moan

Calamity After Calamity

Three Leaks and a Garage Door

The 3 x 60 Challenge

A Lifesaver

Fatigued

Tormented

Grateful for a Good Week

Great British Bake Off