The Joy of Grandparenting

 


We spent last week in the Lake District, treated to the torrential rain and wind provided by not one but two storms. On the plus side, as the height of the beck outside rose and rose, it was a great excuse to simply stay in on a couple days  to play with our granddaughter who joined us there with her parents, the Eldest and Dilly. 

The net result was that I made up for the lack of fell walking by the number of circuits completed around the sofa chasing one small toddler who is now so confident on her feet that she is trying to run whilst squealing with delight. If that wasn't exhausting in itself, the lively debates that happen with an eleven month old certainly are. Armed only with a vocabulary of four words she can certainly argue. The first two words are obviously Mummummum and Dadada but when the second two are very clearly "yes" and "no," the adults are in trouble!

If I had any doubts whatsoever on the reproductive score, I now fully comprehend why giving birth to and then raising children is a younger person's sport. Whilst I'd never anticipated deriving so much enjoyment in retirement from swimming after a plastic penguin in the pool, splashing with a duck at bathtime, playing action games and visiting a soft play area, I confess that this week is providing much needed rest and recovery pending our next meet up.

I certainly can't squat down the way I used to and getting up again with my dodgy knee requires a little support and patience. I take my hat off to both the Eldest and Dilly who, when we did go out to walk, managed to strap her onto their backs and stride out regardless whilst I brought up the rear, panting behind them.

At least as grandparents Mister E and I were spared the agony of walking up the stairs behind her and then carrying her back down again in order to repeat the whole process. Did I mention my dodgy knee? Age does have its occasional advantages!

 


Comments

Treaders said…
It's exhausting isn't it - but so worth it! And I know what you mean about being able to get down on the floor but then not being able to get back up again!!!!
Marksgran said…
I was in my mid 50's when my first grandchild was born and when I read of these women having IVF in their 50's to have babies I always think it wouldn't be me! It's exhausting and I used to corral three children under the age of 5 at one time! Being a grandparent is the best though cos you can play till 'grandma's got a sore knee now' and hand them back to their parents at the end of the day! I loved it. x
Pauline Noble said…
Lucky you. My grandchildren are in their 20's now but I thoroughly enjoyed their younger days. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for great grandchildren now before my joints seize up altogether. Make the most of every minute while you can and photograph everything to keep the memories alive.
Caree Risover said…
Thank you ladies and exhausting or not, it is definitely so enjoyable. Mind I dread to think what age I might be if and when great grandchildren come along. So old, the chances of me getting down to that floor (never mind back up again) will be pretty remote!

Most Popular Posts of All Time

The 3 x 60 Challenge

All Aboard for Pampering

A Full Service

Late, Even in Retirement

A Reprieve

One a Day

Exhaustion

The Danger Zone

Business Networking in Retirement

Not Only But Also

Popular Posts in last 30 days

A Whinge and a Moan

Calamity After Calamity

From the Post

Old Fogeys up t'Dale

Planning for the Big Day

Fatigued

Grateful for a Good Week

Great British Bake Off

Technophobia

A Lifesaver