The Post


In the news today are reports that Royal Mail, to help defray the losses it is making, wants to abolish postal deliveries on Saturdays. According to the BBC, the company is arguing that a delivery service created for 20 billion letters is not sustainable when it is only being required to deliver 7 billion. 

I confess I still enjoy those rare occasions when I receive a handwritten letter and look back with nostalgia on the days of 2 deliveries a day, including one before I set off for work. Now, of course, we have e-mails and messaging services rendering the posting of correspondence almost obsolete.

That said, I confess the sight of the post van in the street always arouses a surge of inner excitement.  Unfortunately it is invariably tempered by disappointment when we receive either nothing at all or a pile of junk mail that’s moved straight from floor to recycling bin.

In the past week we had two such deliveries and I did actually sift through the first wondering if, a little like online advertising, we are being tracked by cookies and internet activity to establish likely ages and interests in an effort to ensure targeted marketing. There were 2 invitations: one to visit a care home; the second to try out independent retirement living. Perhaps I should be grateful there wasn’t one from the Co-Op offering its funeral services.

Thankfully the postman redeemed himself on the next occasion, or so I thought with a flyer showing a grey haired woman about to jump into a swimming pool alongside the slogan, “I’m not slowing down.” A second leaflet suggested I might be interested in a trek for charity; Kilimanjaro here I’d come if I didn’t have an unstable right knee, I thought. Then I looked at the documents in closer detail, the first was clearly from a financial institution wanting the retired brigade’s savings and the second even promised me the opportunity to connect with others facing the challenges of dementia.

You know what? If this is the material that now flows through my letterbox, I’m all for reducing the number of deliveries and sticking to email servers with automatic spam filters and unsubscribe buttons in future. 




Comments

Treaders said…
It always amazed me that up until I hit 50 I was forever receiving catalogues for sexy underwear and push-up bras. As soon as I hit 50 it was "incontinence pads and care homes"! Big Brother is indeed watching you, isn't he!
Caree Risover said…
Haha and yes, I’ve just received a leaflet with a discount voucher for Tena merchandise.
Here in the U.S. our Postal Service talked about doing the same thing a few years ago. There was such a backlash that the plan to abolish Saturday delivery quickly faded. They did follow up with slower service and higher prices. I too, enjoy getting mail although most of it is junk mail. I laughed at your receiving mail tailored to the older crowd. I get ads offering me a free dinner if I go to a talk about senior living, estate planning or other senior type topics.
Caree Risover said…
Free dinner? They must think we go hungry as well!
Marksgran said…
Targeted advertising is hilarious at times. I'm not entirely sure what I've said or done in the past to warrant the spam mail I get to my email address but did you know your pen*s can be increased so easily now if you only pay a small fortune to an unknown person on the internet and that there are lots of people out there willing and indeed wanting to have s*x for another small fortune and your bank account details. Then of course there are stair lifts and bath lifts not to mention food deliveries to your door to save you cooking in your dotage. It's just as well I'm not easily offended lol.
ps I too love getting a snail mail. I think its why I continue to subscribe to a magazine as I love it when it drops through the door!
Blogger Treaders said...
It always amazed me that up until I hit 50 I was forever receiving catalogues for sexy underwear and push-up bras.“

A great line
Caree Risover said…
Sounds like we could be getting the best (?) from life, Marksgran, if only we were gullible and yes, John Going Gently, definitely a great line there in Treaders’ comment.

Most Popular Posts of All Time

The 3 x 60 Challenge

All Aboard for Pampering

A Full Service

Late, Even in Retirement

A Reprieve

One a Day

Exhaustion

The Danger Zone

Business Networking in Retirement

Not Only But Also

Popular Posts in last 30 days

A Whinge and a Moan

Calamity After Calamity

From the Post

Old Fogeys up t'Dale

Planning for the Big Day

Fatigued

Grateful for a Good Week

Great British Bake Off

Technophobia

A Lifesaver